It's no secret that the summertime is an easy time for mechanical failure to occur. When the heat cranks up in Alexandria, VA, many drivers will need to keep an eye out for their vehicle's performance and efficiency. The best way to avoid car problems this summer is with preventative maintenance. Follow some of these tips below to prevent unwanted breakdowns:
- Engine Performance - If you notice any engine issues, such as hard starts, rough idling, stalling, or a general lack of power, your car may be due for a tune-up. Additionally, you should get an oil change if you plan to do a lot of driving this summer.
- Cooling System - Coolant is a vital fluid that keeps your car from overheating. With temperatures climbing high, make sure you have a mechanic check your cooling system. You should flush your radiator every 1-2 years.
- Windshield Wipers - Windshield wipers should be changed at least once every year. Rain showers can come and go throughout the summer. Plus, wipers can dry out and warp from the summer heat.
- Air Conditioning - There’s no question that A/C is a necessity during the summer. Our team at Yates Automotive can test your car air conditioning system and recharge your A/C to keep your rides comfortable.
- Battery - A quick and simple battery test can ensure that your vehicle won’t leave you stranded. Plus, you should keep your vehicle battery clean and remove any corrosion present to keep it in good shape.
- Lights - You should regularly do a walk around to see if all your car lights are operational.
- Tires - If your tire treads are heavily worn down, it may be time to replace them with new ones. If it passes the penny or tread test, you should check its pressure next. When your tires are properly inflated, you get maximum efficiency and even wear.
If you need your car serviced for the summer months, please do not hesitate to come by Yates Automotive. Feel free to give our professional team a call or schedule an appointment online today.